Bars & Nightlife
Washington’s nightlife is pretty simple. It’s called Adams Morgan. Definitely the key hot spot for Washington DC’s fun after dark, this neighborhood can be heavy with the sounds of Latino music one minute and quickly turn into the soothing rhythm of Caribbean metal drums after a few steps down the block. Adams Morgan is the perfect area to enjoy an evening out with friends, a first date, or even for some after hours business networking.
Wherever you end up spending your evening, one thing is certain–Adams Morgan has such a variety of entertainment experiences that no one will leave disappointed. Adams Morgan is the place to be.For the young professional looking for an after-hours watering hole, Adams Morgan is the place to be. From the neighborhood pub to the swanky martini bar, Adams Morgan won’t leave you thirsty. The wide variety of cultures affords an additional bonus with its authentic Mojitos and Peruvian cocktails. You can sample favorite drinks from around the globe, all in one evening.
The nightlife hub is located at the 18th St and Columbia Rd intersection, and moves outward from there. With more pubs, lounges and clubs than you could possibly visit in a weekend, you definitely won’t be left without something to do. If you love the sounds of ethnic music and enjoy salsa dancing or crave a round or two of country karaoke, the Adams Morgan community will keep you busy.
The crowd varies from club to club, but the general vibe of the area is young and fun professionals in their twenties and thirties. Most of the patrons are from out of town, here to enjoy the kind of environment that can’t be found anywhere else.
Parking spots fill up quickly in this popular area, so unless you’re planning on starting your festivities at 5 pm, it is best to park at Woodley Park / Adams Morgan station and pay the 25 cents each way to board a shuttle. If you’re feeling like a romantic walk with that special someone, it will only take you ten minutes to get there from the station.
Clubs and Bars
From the swanky Felix martini lounge to Heaven and Hell’s immense dance club, you’ll find a special event somewhere every night of the week. Heaven and Hell has 80′s night on Thursdays and Madam Organ’s always has a special. A neighborhood landmark with its own mural, Madam’s was named one of the best bars in America by Playboy Magazine.
Salsa dancing and strong Mojitos can be found at Habana Village and if dancing is what you like, you’ll also want to visit Chief Ike’s Mambo Room. The Mambo Room is an Adams Morgan institution, well known and loved by all. It draws a mix of capitol hill workers, law students and young professionals.
Bars and Taverns
If you’re looking for something a little different, you can catch an act at The Riot Act Comedy Club. With a list of comedians that range from local favorite Big Al Goodwin to Dick Gregory, Paul Mooney, and Charles Fliescher, this club has all the right ingredients for an evening of fun.
For those of you looking for a simple watering hole with good food or too old to stay up past midnight, Adams Morgan offers a variety of traditional and not so traditional bars and taverns.
- Toledo Lounge – 2435 18th Street NW. The Toledo Lounge is your traditional friendly neighborhood bar where you can enjoy a burger and a beer while having a conversation with the guy next to you.
- Tryst Coffee House Bar & Lounge – 2459 18th Street NW. If you are looking for atmosphere, this is your place. The Tryst is famous for its coffee and chai and their welcoming, relaxed environment. With couches to lounge on and free wifi, you’ll likely spend a few hours here.
- Dan’s Cafe – 2315 18th Street NW. This ‘cash only’ neighborhood bar has a reputation for serving up some pretty potent drinks. If you are looking for a quick fix, this friendly bar complete with a jukebox is as simple as it gets.
- Pharmacy Bar – 2337 18th Street NW. The Pharmacy Bar has a relaxing atmosphere. Its lower volume of music and oversized tables make it a great place to hang out and converse with friends in a place where you don’t have to yell over the music.
- Bedrock Billiards – 1841 Columbia Road NW. If you feel the need to ‘do’ something while you are drinking, Bedrock Billiards offers plenty of pool tables, one foozball table and dartboards. A neighborhood bar with a large selection of beers.
- Asylum – 2471 18th Street NW. On Saturday night the drinks start at 50 cents at 5 pm and go up 50 cents every hour. That could be trouble. This place is known for its great atmosphere and vegan food. The Asylum has brunch specials for those Saturday or Sunday morning hunger pangs as well.
- The Diner – 2453 18th Street NW. The Diner is open 24 hours on weekends. It offers up great drinks, food, excellent service, and is perfect for people watching.
- Tangier Restaurant and Hookah Lounge – 2305 18th Street NW. . A relaxing Moroccan restaurant, complete with belly dancers, and after dinner Hookah.
- Bourbon – 2321 18th Street NW. The upscale yet homey atmosphere coupled with the sleek, modern decor and great drink specials make this one of Adams Morgan’s best bars.
- Millie and Al’s – 2440 18th Street NW. Jell-O shots and cheap pizza; what more could you ask for? From the crazy decor to the karaoke singing, this place is a must see.
- The Black Squirrel – 2427 18th Street NW. Known for their specialty drinks and awesome burgers, this cozy bar is the perfect place to bring your friends.
- Angles Bar and Billiards – 2339 18th Street NW. Angles has a casual atmosphere, great burgers, pool tables and a jukebox. It’s a neighborhood staple.
- Adam’s Mill Bar and Grill – 1813 Adams Mill Road NW. . The inexpensive and fun sports bar of the neighborhood.
- The Reef – 2446 18th Street NW. Known for its excellent beer selection, rooftop deck, and cool aquariums. You’ll love the atmosphere.
- Madam’s Organ Bar – 2461 18th Street NW. Saving the most famous for last, this bar has been rated as one of the country’s best by Playboy magazine. The weekly schedule of entertainment includes blues bands, rock ‘n roll and even a wandering magician. Weekends here are crazy, and someone usually ends up dancing on the bar. But it’s okay, they expect that.
This is listed area bars is not all-inclusive, but it gives you a good idea of what’s Adams Morgan has to offer. With such a wide variety, you won’t be disappointed.