Historically, Adams Morgan was comprised of parts of four neighborhoods: Kalorama, Lanier Heights, Shaw and Meridian Hill. In the mid 1950′s, the Adams Morgan Better Neighborhood Conference formed with the goal of quickly and peacefully desegregating two elementary schools, the all white John Quincy Adams School and the all black Thomas P. Morgan School. They accomplished this smoothly and efficiently, and the name “Adams Morgan” was coined.
Today, Adams Morgan is four neighborhoods. Two are disignated as historic: 1. Kalorama Triangle bordered by Calvert Street on the north, Connecticut Avenue on the west and Columbia Road on the east; 2. Washington Heightsm between 18th and 19th Streets, Forida Avenue to the south and Columbia Road to the north. 3. Lanier Heights, bordered by the National Zoo, Aedams Mill Road, Harvard Street to the north and Columbial Road to the east is the third , and 4. Reed Cooke, is bordered by 18th Street to the west, 16th Street to the east, Florida Avenue to the southe and Columbial Road to the north.